Pedro Piedrabuena is the 2017 USBA 3-Cushion National Champion after impressing both players and spectators alike at the national championship tournament with a nearly flawless performance. Undefeated throughout the preliminaries and the finals, Pedro demonstrated his world-class skill and concentration at the table - an inspiration to all the players. Whether facing a C-Player or one of the five former champions, Pedro brought his A-Game to every match. The USBA is extremely proud that Pedro will be representing the USA at the 2017 UMB World Championship to be held November 1-5 in La Paz, Bolivia.
Pictured above (L to R): Camilo Medina, Frank Torres, Mazin Shooni, Hugo Patino, Jae Hyung Cho, Pedro Piedrabuena (Champion!), Miguel orres, Robert Spicknall, Joe Deamato, Tony Ferrara and Tung Nguyen. (Not pictured Craig Powers.)
Wonderful play was also demonstrated by 2nd place finisher Miguel Torres, whose big stroke, beautiful shots and ready smile were a consistent crowd pleaser. Third place Jae Hyung Cho was ever steady with his smooth, light touch at the table. In fourth place was Hugo Patino, whose game of finesse netted him high run (15!) in both the prelims and the finals, a considerable achievement on tables that had proven to be challenging.
The official charts can be viewed anytime by clicking here: 2017 USBA National Championship Results. Replays of selected matches can be viewed on Youtube courtesy of POVPool by clicking here: 2017 USBA National Championship Videos.
More Thoughts on the Event
I may be biased, but I have to give a nod to my Boston boys. Three of us made the finals: myself, Joe Deamato and Tony Ferrara. It doesn't get much better than that.
Probably the player who worked the hardest at the table never picked up a cue. Boston's own JoJo Chiasson single-handedly kept the tables clean and the players provided with chalk and water through the the entire tournament. A true champion is our JoJo!
We are indebted to Tournament Director Andy Janquitto, who was assisted by our Webmaster Doug Deitel and Professor Q-Ball - Paul Frankel. Also big thanks to all our sponsors - Gabriels, Simonis, Aramith, Tiger, McDermott, Cheqio and AdoEma Realty.
The games were played at the beautiful Casino Del Sol, a Four Star hotel and entertainment venue in Tucson, Arizona. The accommodations, amenities and service were over the top. Thank you to USBA player and Casino Del Sol CFO Paul Feltman Jr. for helping to make this great event happen.
Coming up, we will be heading to the Pan American championships in South America. The USBA will be represented by Pedro, Miguel, Hugo and Michael Kang. Then, Pedro and Hugo are off to Europe to play in the World Games in Poland in July. Good luck to all!
Mazin Shooni, President
Here are the final standings with record, averages, high run and prize payout from the finals:
1 - Pedro Piedrabuena 11-0 1.584 9 $3,500
2 - Miguel Torres 9-2 1.233 7 $2,500
3 - Jae Hyung Cho 9-2 1.208 8 $1,800
4 - Hugo Patino 7-4 1.395 15 $1,500
5 - Mazin Shooni 5-6 0 965 8 $1,200
6 - Frank Torres 5-6 0.899 9 $1,000
7 - Tung Nguyen 5-6 0.753 6 $750
8 - Craig Powers 4-7 0.722 6 $650
9 - Joseph DeAmato 4-7 0.706 6 $500
10 - Robert Spicknall 4-7 0.638 7 $450
11 - Anthony Ferrera 2-9 0.584 6 $400
12 - Camilo Medina 1-10 0.519 6 $350
- 1st - Pedro Piedrabuena 1st - Pedro Piedrabuena
- 2nd - Miguel Torres 2nd - Miguel Torres
- 3rd - Jae Hyung Cho 3rd - Jae Hyung Cho
- 4th - Hugo Patino 4th - Hugo Patino
- 5th - Mazin Shooni 5th - Mazin Shooni
- 6th - Frank Torres 6th - Frank Torres
- 7th - Tung Nguyen 7th - Tung Nguyen
- 8th - Craig Powers 8th - Craig Powers
- 9th - Joe DeAmato 9th - Joe DeAmato
- 10th - Robert Spicknall 10th - Robert Spicknall
- 11th - Tony Ferrara 11th - Tony Ferrara
- 12th - Camilo Medina 12th - Camilo Medina
- Ahmet Ozan Ahmet Ozan
- Alejandro Borboa Alejandro Borboa
- Baldomero Tejeda Baldomero Tejeda
- Carlos Bazo Carlos Bazo
- Carlos Ramos Carlos Ramos
- TitleChris O'Brien TitleChris O'Brien
- David Palmer David Palmer
- Doug Deitel Doug Deitel
- Eduardo Cervantes Eduardo Cervantes
- Erhan Tarhan Erhan Tarhan
- Gary Cohen Gary Cohen
- Hector Ocampo Hector Ocampo
- John Fleming John Fleming
- Mickey Campbell Mickey Campbell
- Mike Massey Mike Massey
- Paul Feltman Jr Paul Feltman Jr
- Paul Feltman Sr Paul Feltman Sr
- Paul Frankel Paul Frankel
- Pete Folsom Pete Folsom
- Peter Hull Peter Hull
- Ramses Verlinden Ramses Verlinden
- Tom Paley Tom Paley
- 2017 USBA National Champion Pedro Piedrabuena 2017 USBA National Champion Pedro Piedrabuena
- 2017 USBA National Championship Podium 2017 USBA National Championship Podium